Friday, May 6, 2011

A Tale of Two Cookies

I update this blog more often than Facebook.

If this were Facebook, my status would read: Couldn't decide which cookie to bake today, so I gave into my innate indecisiveness and made both.

It's true, I am incredibly indecisive, as anyone who's ever been in line to order something with me knows. Luckily, when it comes to cookies, this can actually a good thing. It provides me and my friends with Hot Chocolate AND Cowboy Cookies. Now I just have to decide which one to eat...

Let's be honest: It will be both.



This is my work space. On a good day. On a bad day, my inner mustachioed frenchman (we all have one) gestures indignantly and says, "Zees condishions are horreebluh! I cannot vork een zees filth!" Then my American-ness takes over and I turn a blind eye.

Let's start with Cowboy Cookies, shall we? I made them first.


My inner frenchman will sniff his nose in despair at me, but I've defaulted to melting my butter before creaming it with sugar. It may slightly alter the integrity of the recipe and the consistancy of the cookie, but my right arm is singing praises of gratitude in my honor. And it doesn't alter them that much.

I don't know how Cowboy Cookies earned their name, except that it's a heck of a lot shorter than "Oatmeal Pretzel* Coffee Chocolate Chip Cookies." The alliteration makes it catchier, too.

*My pound of pretzels is finally almost depleted.


And I guess cowboys would like them. I mean, who wouldn't?


Once the Cowboy Cookies were safely in the oven, I quickly rinsed my bakeware and mixed up the Hot Chocolate Cookies. They were ready to go before the Cowboy Cookies even finished browning.


The story behind these cookies is: Once upon a time, I wanted to put some of the many, many bags of homemade hot chocolate mix my sister gave me for Christmas to good use, since many, many of them were left over when the temperatures (finally) rose. The end.


(I don't need much of an excuse to bake cookies. Especially when they involve chocolate.)


While I was congratulating myself for my efficiency in getting two batches of different cookies prepared and in the oven in the space of half an hour, my friend Sadie pointed out I'd also managed to get flour all over myself. I wish I could say this was a rare occurrence, and that I am as suave in the kitchen as a 50's housewife.

The truth: I usually have to wash my jeans after I bake.

Fortunately, the cookies are always more than worth it. Feast your eyes (literally):






As much as I love oatmeal (which is a lot), I can't actually remember ever eating an oatmeal cookie that blew me away. Unfortunately, this cookie wasn't much different. It was yummy... but if I wanted to put it down in favor of another cookie, I could, without much of a struggle. I could - and I did...

... in favor of the Hot Chocolate Cookie. The dough was really crumbly, and as I squeezed them into spherical submission I had my doubts as to whether they would turn out or not. I was expecting them to be one of those "eh" cookies, the ones you can take or leave. But they surprised me! They turned out to be a very dense chocolate cookie, something like a cross between shortbread and brownie, if you can imagine that. I made them with homemade peanut butter hot chocolate, and on a whim added peanut butter chips rather than chocolate chips, which I suspect had something to do with taking them to the next level. In any case, they were sublime.

Oh... and FYI, I should probably warn any of you who might actually take these recipes and make them for yourself that I usually half them (to avoid feeling obligated to dispose of - ahem, consume - oodles of leftovers), so for your own purposes, I suggest doubling whatever measurements I post.

Cowboy Cookies

Ingredients:

1 c. all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
1 c. rolled oats
7 tbsp. unsalted butter
¼ c. granulated sugar
½ c. dark brown sugar 
1 lg egg
½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp espresso powder
1 c. semisweet chocolate chunks
3/4 c thin salty pretzels

Directions:

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add the oats and stir to combine. In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugars together until smooth and creamy. Add the egg and egg yolk, beating until the mixture looks light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl, add the vanilla, and beat for 5 seconds. Dissolve the espresso powder in 1/4 c. hot water and add it to the bowl, mixing until combined.

Add half of the dry ingredients and mix for 15 seconds. Add the remaining dry ingredients and beat until just incorporated. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and fold in the chocolate chunks and 1/2 c. of the pretzel pieces. Cover the bowl tightly and refrigerate the dough for at least 4 hours.

Preheat the oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop out dough in 2-tablespoon-size balls and place the dough balls onto the prepared baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Sprinkle the remaining pretzel pieces over the dough balls. Use the palm of your hand to press the dough down lightly; don’t smash the cookie – you just want to slightly flatten the ball and push the pretzel pieces into the dough.

Bake for 11-13 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through the baking time, until the edges of the cookies are golden brown or just start to darken. Set the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes to cool. Use a spatula to transfer the cookies to the rack to cool completely. They can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

Hot Chocolate Cookies

Ingredients:

1 ½ c. + 2 tbsp. bread flour
2 ounces hot chocolate mix 
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. (heaping) baking soda
½ c. butter, room temperature
½ c. sugar
1/3 c. brown sugar
1 egg
½ tsp. vanilla
1 c. chocolate chips 

Directions:

In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa mix, salt, and baking soda together. Set aside. In a separate bowl, use a mixer to cream the butter, sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about three minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla to the butter mixture and mix until combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, a bit at a time, until incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips. 

Chill the dough for one hour. Preheat your oven to 350F. 

Bake them one sheet at a time, for about 10 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment