Friday, May 13, 2011

Cinnamon Coffee Brownie Cupcakes + Peanut Butter Frosting

I'd be willing to bet that almost every baker, at one point or another in their career, takes it upon themselves to pursue The Ultimate Brownie Recipe (just like they pursue The Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe). It's an ongoing process. It doesn't happen in one day. There's many, many batches of trial and error, and some will never succeed, though many will come close.

Wednesday marked my first foray into this noble tradition. 



If I remember correctly (I looked at a lot of recipes while deciding which looked the most promising, and my brain became a bit brownie-addled), this recipe is actually a conglomeration of several different recipes.


I found a basic recipe, decided to add some instant espresso powder to add depth to the chocolate flavor (and because I love coffee), and incorporated some cinnamon, because that seemed like an exotic undertone for a brownie.


In hindsight, I may have gotten carried away. Mostly because I then decided I would frost them in peanut butter frosting. Which is a fine idea in theory (a great idea, actually), but should be applied only to a basic brownie recipe. Adding peanut butter frosting to brownies bursting with cinnamon and coffee just created a four-way flavor competition that confused the taste-buds. 

Even brownie cupcake wrappers look mouthwatering.

Nobody likes confused taste buds. They do like chocolate, though. And peanut butter. And those are hard things to corrupt. So these brownies were still delicious, don't get me wrong. Just a little confusing. 

Such is life.

These brownies were yummy - and I liked the air of elegance and intrigue created by the coffee and cinnamon - but they were more cakey than fudgy. I like my brownies fudgy, so the quest continues.

But for now, let's talk peanut butter frosting.


I'm pretty sure this is what ambrosia tastes like. If I could eat it plain by the spoonful, I would. Unfortunately, since it's made of only butter, peanut butter, a dash of milk, and lots of of powdered sugar, that would probably be a bad idea. Fortunately, the fact that all it contains is butter, peanut butter, a dask of milk, and lots of powdered sugar means this frosting is incredibly delicious. 



I halved the recipe for the brownies and turned them into cupcakes, which is why there are only 7 (I didn't need a repeat surplus fiasco like last Friday's two batches of cookies!). What I didn't half (or, well, I did, but I should have quartered it) is the frosting. Which is why I still had half a bowl left after I'd generously frosted all 7 cupcakes.


I have such big dilemmas in my life. How to get rid of 20 extra cookies? How to get rid of copious amounts of peanut butter ambrosia? The answer to the first? Force them on your friends and don't take no for an answer. Emphasize brain-boosting qualities of oatmeal.  The answer to the second? Make more brownies. Obviously.

Cinnamon Coffee Brownies

Ingredients:

½ c. butter
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 package espresso powder
½ c. all-purpose flour
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. baking powder
½ tbsp. cinnamon
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

In a large saucepan, melt butter and espresso powder. Remove from heat, and stir in sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Beat in cocoa, flour, salt, and baking powder. Spread batter into prepared pan.

Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Do not overcook.

Peanut Butter Frosting

Ingredients:

1 cup creamy peanut butter
8 tbsp. butter, room temperatura
2 cups powdered sugar
3 to 4 tbsp. milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:

Place butter and peanut butter in mixing bowl and blend on low speed until fluffy. Add powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons of milk, and vanilla. Blend on low speed until sugar is well combined, then increase to medium until frosting lightens and is fluffy. Blend in up to 1 tablespoon more milk if frosting seems too stiff.

No comments:

Post a Comment